Sunday 9 October 2022

DINKY-TOYS GB #217 - ALFA ROMEO OSI SCARABEO


When sorting the doubles in my collection for next swapmeet, I came across several examples of an odd car produced by DINKY : the ALFA ROMEO SCARABEO prototype, designed by OSI. The original car appeared on car shows in 1966 and was metallic grey and I never saw any picture of the actual car painted in the fluorescent red DINKY used. I think they had a bargain on this paint, considering the numerous models they painted with : the MINI, the DE TOMASO and others. In the 70s, the "psychedelic fluo" was in fashion !

Back to the model, let's look to my point of interest : casting variants. Its again under the model that something is to be noticed. The chassis is in bare mazac on most of the examples (with perhaps a varnish coating or some anodized metallic coating), but on some models it is painted in matt black.

When looking closely at the wordings, more precisely on the last two lines, two variants exist, and therefore two distinct dies : One has the top of the second ALFA's "A" vertically aligned with the "I" of MADE IN ENGLAND, the OSI's "I" is not aligned with the left of the PROV PAT's "V" and the SCARABEO's "E" is vertically aligned with the 46371's "3".
The other has the second ALFA's "A" not aligned with the "I" of MADE IN ENGLAND, the OSI's "I" vertically aligned with the left of the PROV PAR_T's "V" and the SCARABEO's "E" vertically aligned with the space between "3" and "7" of 46371.



The last line of the wordings being written on a relief cartridge, it is most possible, as for the DINKY #27G MOTOCART (see my previous post) or the french DINKY #516 MERCEDES-BENZ 230 "PAGODE", that the first examples produced had a different unaltered wording on this line, but which one ? Let's have a look at your own models, and of course keep me informed please !!!

Post initially published : may 13th, 2017

Version française ici.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DINKY-TOYS GB #27B/320 HALESOWEN FARM TRAILER

Post updated on Sept.17th, 2023 with a 6th version discovered ! DINKY-TOYS GB #27B/320 TRAILERS : side by side the earliest and the penultim...